Sunday, July 26, 2009

How much Planning?

This past Tuesday Denise and me took my bike in to the Kawasaki dealership in Woodstock, to get all the recall work done on it, and hopefully fix the started button problem. I am glad to report that the bike is now fixed, and I'm riding with 4 brand new indicator lights. Apparently replacing all the indicators was one of the recalls.
I must be honest, the starter problem has permanently damaged my confidence in my bike. Although it is fixed now, I have a nervous feeling every time I start the bike. It is hard to describe the sinking feeling you get when you press the starter button on your trusted steed, and nothing happens.

This week we also received the plane tickets for Dominique (my daughter) to fly to Ottawa to visit her grand parents when we are on our trip. Today we went and bought me some new waterproof boots. So we are both ready for any rain mother nature might bring our way. Denise got a new cell phone, for us to take on the trip. We both use BlackBerrys from work everyday, but there is not a chance in hell that we are taking them with on this trip. We want to get away from work, and have no desire to know what happens in our absence.

I also went thru our camping gear today, and for the most part we are ready. We need to buy a few small items and clean out the tent. But with all the rain we had lately it's hard to find a dry day to pitch the tent and clean it out. We are both hoping that the weather is going to change soon. If it stays this rainy, it will make for a wet trip with not much camping. If the weather force us to stay in motels or hostels, instead of camping, the trip cost will go up very fast.

This brings me to the question of, how much planning? The plan with this whole trip is, not to have a plan. Get up every morning if and when we feel like it. Ride to our next unknown destination. Find accommodation when we get there, wherever "there" maybe. Stay a few days if we like, and leave when we feel like it. Two free spirits riding of into the sunset to experience freedom and adventure. Sounds great, doesn't it?
You can not believe how difficult it is for me not to go into planning mode. What do we pack? Will we be able to fit everything on 2 bikes? What if it rains the whole time? What if we have mechanical problems? How much tools should we take with? What if we can not find accommodation or a camp ground? The list goes on and on.
I think there is a distinct difference between planning and preparation. I am just prepared for any eventuality. That is my rationalisation, and I'm sticking to it.

We do have a rough plan of our intended route. On the first day we hope to make it to Gananoque or that area, and spend the night. Then cross into the USA over the 1000 Islands bridge. In the States we will go thru New York and the Adirondack National Park, then go thru Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine, and then cross back into Canada to Saint John New Brunswick. From Saint John take the ferry to Digby Nova Scotia. From here the routes is not planned at all. We know we want to spend some time in Yarmouth and Halifax. We also want to do the Cabot Trail in the Cape Breton Highlands National Park. Depending on time and our finances, we would like to go to Prince Edward Island for a few days.
Coming back we would most probably go thru New Brunswith to Quebec. We both would like to see Quebec City.

I hope that by telling you all the places we hope to see, I have sparked your interest to follow my blog. Once the trip starts there will be more pictures, and as they say, "a picture is worth a thousand words".

Feel free to leave comments on the site. That way I know somebody is reading this.

1 comment:

  1. Herman, I love the way you describe what you are planning, etc. I am looking forward to doing the trip with you.
    Bernice

    ReplyDelete