Tuesday, August 4, 2009

It's The Final Countdown

Now I have that song stuck in my head. If you know the song, you are showing your age.
So we are leaving this coming Saturday morning. Only 3 more days of work. I haven't taken 2 weeks vacation in a row the last 13 years. So I am sure you can understand my excitement. These last few days will be busy for Denise and me to get everything sorted at work.

This past weekend I picked up the starter button assembly from the Kawasaki dealership, and tackled the job of installing it Saturday morning. It wasn't a very difficult job, but it took me 3 hours, since you have to disassemble the whole bike to get the job done. Well that's how it felt.

You have seen pictures of my bike on this blog, and people always say to me "that's a big bike". Here's a picture with the side covers, seat, cowling and gas tank taken off. The bike is not really that big.


Well I got the part installed, and the bike fired up on the first try. I must say I felt so proud to have done this by myself. I also learned a lot about the bike, in case I have to make minor repairs on the road. I decided to do the whole job with the toolkit that came with the bike. Let me just say this, if you have a KLR, take extra tools. The toolkit is pretty much useless, and I had to add some tools to be able to make it a somewhat useful kit.

I think we have our packing list pretty much finalized, and have a good idea how to fit it all on the 2 bikes. I think we will truly find out on Friday night.

Here is our packing list: (I'm including it for the other motorcycle enthusiasts that may be interested in what we are taking along on such a trip). Only time will tell if we are taking the right stuff. Too many things or too little.

Packing List

Camping Equipment
  • 2 Man tent
  • 2x Air matresses (those loaty things you use in the pool).
  • 2x Sleeping bags
  • 2x Pillows (Denise made them)
  • 2x Headlamps
  • Small camping lantern (LED one that is light and does not get warm. Can be used inside tent)
    Small camping gas stove
  • 1x Cooking pot
  • 2x Plates, cups and cutlery

For Bikes:
  • 2x Toolkits (this is where having the same bikes will be an advantage. Use same tools/spares)
  • Motorcycle oil & funnel
  • Chain lubricant
  • Automotive Fuses
  • Zip ties
  • Tire irons
  • Tire repair kit

Electronics
  • Cell phone
  • GPS (Garmin eTrax Venture CS)
  • Radio
  • Laptop with wireless capability
  • Camera
  • Connection cords and battery chargers for all
  • 4x Spare AAA batteries.

Riding Gear
  • Full Face helments (don't like bugs in my teeth)
  • Riding boots
  • Leather jackets
  • 2 Pairs of gloves (Summer & Winter gloves)
  • Riding jeans. Draggin jeans with kevlar lining. http://www.dragginjeans.com/
  • Leather chaps (for Denise)
  • Rain Suits (2 piece suit)

Personal Stuff:
  • Toiletries
  • 5 Changes of Tee shirts, underwear and socks
  • 1x Long trousers
  • 1x Shorts
  • 1x Sweater
  • Bathing suit
  • 1 Roll toilet paper

Other Stuff:
  • Passports
  • Smokes (cigarettes & pipe. Tobacco pipe)
  • Coffee, Sugar, powdered milk (I get cranky without coffee)
  • Wallet (cash credit cards)
  • Spectacles and sunglasses

1 comment:

  1. Final Countdown by Europe!
    :-)
    Have a great time you guys!
    Cheers
    Rob

    ReplyDelete