Thursday, August 20, 2009

Day 13 - Sad way home

We were both awake before 6pm this morning. We left early and headed west and home. Througout the ride, I kept on thinking of positive things to make the return less sad, but I couldn't come up with anything, except that we both really miss Konstanz and Dominique. If not for them, who knows...

The morning started with sunshine and warm weather. A little way into our trip, I was cold, so we pulled over and I put my inner lining back into my jacket and chaps over my jeans.




When we got to Ganagoque, we took the thousand island parkway and stopped for a few photographs of the St Lawrence and one of the parks along the road. It is a spectacular view of the river and the "cottages" along its shores and on the islands. The sky darkened and it started to rain, so we pulled off to put on our rain pants. Once in Gononoque we stopped again to change our biking jackets for our rain coats. We took highway 2 for a bit, but traffic was too slow and rain was tapering off, so we could rid ourselves of the suits, and stopped along a country road where a few cows were chilling in the fields. Back onto the 401 west.
We decided to stop in Port Hope at the Comfort Inn and treated ourselves to some royal living and got a suite to celebrate the time we had over the last two weeks. When we watched the weather forecast for tonight and tomorrow, this was a great decision, because storms are expected all night, and camping would have been a challenge.

Dominique sent me a text that she was at my sister's house until Saturday when my parents will bring her home. I called her just to hear her voice.
Tonight is our last night on the road and we are both sad to have to see it coming to an end, but we are also looking forward to seeing the kids, dogs and cats (our regular zoo). Now we can start working towards our next trip.
Tomorrow morning we will ride back home on the backroads to make it a little more interesting than just the 401 and also because they call for rain again tomorrow. Welcome back to the colder, wetter weather of "summer" 2009 in Ontario.

2 comments:

  1. glad to hear your trip is going well. Can't wait to see you on saturday. :)

    -Dominique

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi guys
    Great call on not riding home last night!
    I think I saw that cow above flying past me on the 401 last night!
    :-)
    Cheers,
    Rob

    ReplyDelete